Sunday, August 22, 2010

Abu Dhabi Day 3, 8-22-10

Here I am, in Abu Dhabi, UAE. I've even managed to set up my own blog... well, with a little help from my friend Michelle. I couldn't figure out how to get my webpages to show up in English instead of Arabic. It's all good now, "No problem." We seem to be hearing that phrase often.


Before I go into all of the exciting activities of my life, I need to thank some people. There are so many people who have helped me to be sitting where I am right now. Thank you Mom and Dad for letting me fly whenever I've needed to. Thank you Doug for not letting me back out of my dream. Thank you Jake and Sadie and Emily for giving me your blessing to go. All three of you said these words to me, "Mom, I think you should go." I saw the worry and the pain in your eyes. I wonder if you also saw the guilt and the fear in mine?

Jesse, oh my goodness. Thank you for pushing me to hold that stinkin' yard sale. It had to be done, but it sure wasn't fun. Derek, thank you for all of the scanning and carrying.  Mel, thank you for understanding. Jeffrey and Andrea thank you SO much for letting us have Roman last week, what a treat.  Jeff , you win the patience award for setting your dad up on facebook, whew!  Scott and Amanda thanks for all your techno support.  Joy and Eric thanks for the hook up on the blog and the international phone.  I do not know how I am going to do all alone on the other side of the world, I guess I'm just going to have to stretch my wings and fly.

Jeff and Joy and Scottie, thank you for letting me drag your father halfway around the world. Roman, you little stinker, thank you for letting me be the chosen one for just a few hours and thanks for all the sloppy smooches and hugs.  The list goes on and on.  I'll just mention a few more names and you'll know your part: Thanks John and Kim and of course, Mom and Dad once again, and ANGIE!  Wish you were here, you'd love it!  Molly, Maeghan and Josh, thanks for the stellar references on such short notice.

I wish I would have started this blog earlier to be able to share what has been running through my mind all summer long. The summer has been busy. I believe I have accomplished more since the close of the school year than I have in the last four summers combined. I feel like I have been putting out fires since I signed my contract with ADEC, (Abu Dhabi Education Council.).

ADEC, oh my goodness.  Some of you may know this all started when Tammy mentioned that Angie was going to interview in Toronto for an overseas position in Abu Dhabi.  I didn't even know where Abu Dhabi was!  But, that night was sleepless for me.  Abu Dhabi ran through my mind over and over and over.  It wouldn't leave.  Just for kicks, I decided to pull together a resume and cover letter to see what transpired.
Crunching 22 years of teaching experience into one small page was only the beginning of the challenges that lay in wait for me.  Thanks Joy and Angie for the cover letter advice.  Sadie Kay, thanks for all the organizational work with all the paperwork.

I submitted my resume and application on Tuesday, then received a phone call from Teach Away to submit another more in depth application.  The phone interview followed on Thursday with an In Person Interview scheduled for Saturday morning in Toronto.  Thanks Doug and Sadie. 

The contract arrived in my email the following Tuesday and I had to sign and return by Friday. Crazy, life changing events all because one lady said, "Abu Dhabi."

So, you might say, just the words Abu Dhabi?  Not only that, but Em goes off to school next week.  I've been toting some one to school with me everyday for 22 years.  Jake and I started our first days of school together.  He went to kindergarten and I faced my first class of fifth grade students.  So, I basically dreaded the thought of not sending some one to Western with me.  My house might seem so empty.  All the fledglings had flown the coop.

So, here I am, and here I shall stay for a while.  It is an unbelievable feeling knowing that I am so far away. It is nothing like I had imagined, and I had imagined the worst.  But, I knew God wouldn't send me so far away for this not to be rewarding. 

It is now 1:30 a.m.  I believe I have a tour of accommodations tomorrow, I'm just not certain what time.  I found out where I will be staying, more later!  Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. This is awesome, Sheri. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool blog! I will be a follower! I love adventures and am happy for you that that you've started a new one. Love you! _ kim

    ReplyDelete